By Noel Cabobos
BORACAY ISLAND—The Malay Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office (MENRO) has called on the ECOS Sanitary Landfill and Waste Management Corporation to immediately address the toxic stench emanating from the site of the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) in Brgy. Manoc-manoc here.
“We would like to inform you that there are complaints regarding foul odor from Manoc-manoc transfer station/staging area that causes health hazard to the people,” said Mariane S. Salvacion, officer in charge of Malay MENRO, in a letter to Miguel Anthony S. Tiu, general manager of ECOS.
“This emission of foul odor, according to our SWM personnel, was traced to the stockpile of wastes that are being mixed during the hauling operation,” it said, adding “Based on the verbal report of our ground team, ECOS truck collection process was “halo-halo sa isang truck” even though it was segregated at the source and at the collection point,” the letter further reads.
Salvacion has warned ECOS that the process of mixing biodegradable wastes and non-biodegradable is a potential threat to the health of both people of the island and mainland Malay.
She then ask Tiu to address the problem by “application of enough chemicals to eliminate or lessen its foul odor and provide hauling trucks specifically intended to each classification of wastes.
STUDENTS, TEACHERS FAINTED, VOMITTED
Yesterday, school officials of Manoc-manoc Elementary School cut short its afternoon class after students and teachers felt dizzy, vomited, and fainted over the said toxic stench, which was leaking from the MRF site.
The suspension order was made at 4:16pm yesterday when the students, accordingly, can no longer bear the foul smell and start to feel dizziness and abdominal pain. Other students also experienced bouts of diarrhea at some point.
The Boracay Informer learned that even some teachers almost fainted as if they were choking on air.
It was not immediately known, however, if some of the victims have been hospitalized but school officials said they decided to cut the class short after the stench has become so strong to the point that some students vomited in the process.