The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has confirmed that a cleanup activity will happen in Boracay again this year.
This was confirmed in a media interview with DENR Undersecretary Sherwin Rigor last Saturday during the sidelines of a stakeholders meeting in the island.
“The cleanup will happen,” he stressed adding that it could happen on the island’s lean season when there are fewer tourists visiting Boracay.
However, Rigor stressed that it was not yet decided if the whole island will be closed for a month or if it will be done partially or by section.
He said that instead of closing the whole island like what happened for six months last year, there is also a proposal to do it by section only.
“We can also divide it by section and close each section for a week,” he said.
Rigor said the cleanup is to let the tourists know that that the rehabilitation efforts for the island are being sustained.
“This is our evidence that we continue cleaning Boracay,” he said.
He also added that this is to ensure that the same thing which triggered Boracay’s closure last year would not happen again.
Meanwhile, Rigor said the DENR continues to conduct an inspection of establishments in Boracay to ensure that only compliant establishments are operating.
Recently, at least 10 establishments were served with notices for operating even without compliance certificate.*